grub-devel

Re: New configuration variables for setting GRUB's colors in /etc/defaul

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: New configuration variables for setting GRUB's colors in /etc/default/grub (Debian bug #608283)
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:34:34 +0100

On 26.05.2011 14:34, Alexander Kurtz wrote:
Hi,

it seems there is a quite big demand for setting GRUB's colors directly
via /etc/default/grub, see [1-8]. There seem to be no official GRUB_*
variables for this purpose yet[9].

However, Arch Linux recommends[10] using GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL and
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT. I suggest to extend that approach and also provide
GRUB_MENU_COLOR_NORMAL and GRUB_MENU_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT roughly like that:

  GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL         - set the GRUB environment variable 'color_normal'
  GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT      - set the GRUB environment variable
'color_highlight'
  GRUB_MENU_COLOR_NORMAL    - set the GRUB environment variable
'menu_color_normal'
  GRUB_MENU_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT - set the GRUB environment variable
'menu_color_highlight'

I have attached a patch which makes grub-mkconfig export these new
variables. What do you think?
This patch does only exporting, not any actual usage.
Best regards

Alexander Kurtz

[1] http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=151
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739412