grub-devel

OLPC status

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: OLPC status
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:32:12 +0100

Is anybody testing GRUB on OLPC at all? I have neither it nor any other i386-ieee1275 (I don't even know if there is one other than using coreboot+ieee1275, which is suboptimal, since you can achieve better results with GRUB as payload, if not it's a bug). It also doesn't seem to be any recent reports of GRUB either succeeding or failing on it. Additionally it seems that OLPC is very selective about whom to give the laptop and it comes tivoized. While one can use qemu with ieee1275, I don't know how representative it is. Some of the code like "nand" disks are available in qemu. In light of this OLPC port is a likely candidate for removal. But since it benefits from much of shared code for both i386 and ieee1275 it's easy to keep around but guaranteeing any quality is essentially impossible. I see following courses of action:
1) Find someone who is willing to test from time to time.
2) If someone can point me to a way to get one without running into pretty high cost and shipping fees (few offers I saw on ebay make it available only in USA and cost more than an ARM system and if I buy a system for porting, ARM is more important), I can give it a spin evry now and then and before releases.
3) Put prominent warnings and discourage people to use it
4) Remove the port altogether

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko