grub-devel

ZFS Crypto key hand off to kernel

From: Darren J Moffat
Subject: ZFS Crypto key hand off to kernel
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:23:58 +0000

I've been testing the ZFS Crypto support in GRUB2 with Solaris 11 and found it works great - many thanks!

The 'zfskey' command works very nicely, however the key is only available to grub and isn't handed off to the kernel that GRUB2 starts up.

I'm considering an extension to the multiboot2 spec to provide a mechanism to hand off the key from GRUB2 to the running kernel.

I would like for this not to be specific to the ZFS crypto support but to be usable for LUKS and other systems that allow for an encrypted root/boot where both GRUB2 and the kernel need the same key.

Is this something that would be of interest for GRUB2 ? If so I'll look at developing the spec update and a patch for GRUB2 to support it for the zfs crypto support.

--
Darren J Moffat