grub-devel

[Fwd: GRUB 1.99 Documentation Observation]

From: Bruce Dubbs
Subject: [Fwd: GRUB 1.99 Documentation Observation]
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:12:54 -0600

Forwarding.
  -- Bruce

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: GRUB 1.99 Documentation Observation
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:55:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Douglas Morris <address@hidden>

Thanks for your work on documenting grub which I plan to use with my installation of GNU/Linux. I have a comment on the GRUB documentation posted online for version 1.99.

3.4 BIOS Installation, MBR section says: "there are two ways to install GRUB: it can be embedded in the area between the MBR and the first partition (...), or the core image can be installed in a
file system and a list of the blocks that make it up can be stored in the
first sector of that partition."

However, when I look at 3.1 Installing GRUB using grub-install, there is no explanation about where the 'core image' is installed or how its placement is controlled.

My observation comes from trying to find out if I can boot GRUB if I 'install' it in a /boot logical partition on an MBR harddrive. I will just try it not knowing the particulars and see what happens. I can always start over using Clonezilla, which seems to have worked for me once. It seems that OEM Windows 7 installed in an MBR format will not adapt to the GPT format and I am not paying for MS installation CDs. So no GPT for me. Happy Holidays and any religious salutations suitable to your self-identity.

Doug Morris