grub-devel

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] firewire IEEE 1394 (ohci) module

From: Robert
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] firewire IEEE 1394 (ohci) module
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:03:18 +0100

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
On 14.11.2011 00:55, Robert wrote:
I'd like to boot from Grub into Firewire IEEE 1394 (ohci)   ;-)

That's one thing we don't risk having soon. Few people even have such
hardware (my laptop has no firewire connector at all). Some of my test
machines have it but I have no firewire HDD. Even fewer of these people
have required skills (it requires someone who had a similar experience
like Aleš or me). And even less have motivation. Additionally since most
of external HDDs supporting firewire also support USB, it seems pretty
pointless.

the FiWi HD here has USB here too. Yet via USB the usable HD speed is 2x .. 4x slower on large file transfer, and it seems even slower on many small files. A HD on Firewire here is quite as fast as an internal one - seen on two laptops. So via Firewire its feels really usable, while on USB its half way to Knoppix ..

(as far as Linux is concerned, currently I help me using FiWi by loading the Linux kernel&initrd from another device, which needs special updates etc.)