grub-devel

Re: [Patch] Enable libzfs detection on Linux

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [Patch] Enable libzfs detection on Linux
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:38:44 +0100

On 10.11.2011 21:02, Robert Millan wrote:
> Hi Zachary,
>
> 2011/9/14 Zachary Bedell <address@hidden>:
>> FWIW, my commit comment locally for this was:
>>  * Adjusts autoconf logic to properly detect libzfs on Linux.
>>  * Includes additional headers necessary for libspl.
> Excuse me if I missed something, but weren't you holding the position
> that libzfs ABI was too unstable and relying on it from external
> programs was a bad idea?
>
> Recently Debian has had severe problems in this area because of this.
> C.f. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=645305
>
> Last month I sent a proof of concept patch that implements this idea
> (in "getroot for ZFS without libzfs?" thread).  Did you see this part
> of the thread?
The patch has several problems. It seems to definitely commit us to the
improper assumption of uniqueness of ZFS names. Even when there are
several zpools with the same name you can still mount them by unique ID.
Or a devices with conflicting name could have been added after one pool
was mounted.
Also it goes against the general direction towards deprecation of both
device.map and complete scanning of devices in both tools and proper (it
creates problems like floppy seeks or hangs with some drivers) (see my
series of patches for "pulling" devices and lazy scans). If zpool has
something similar to mdadm --export we can use it.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko