grub-devel

Re: [Patch] Enable libzfs detection on Linux

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Patch] Enable libzfs detection on Linux
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:02:35 +0100

Hi Zachary,

2011/9/14 Zachary Bedell <address@hidden>:
> FWIW, my commit comment locally for this was:
>  * Adjusts autoconf logic to properly detect libzfs on Linux.
>  * Includes additional headers necessary for libspl.

Excuse me if I missed something, but weren't you holding the position
that libzfs ABI was too unstable and relying on it from external
programs was a bad idea?

Recently Debian has had severe problems in this area because of this.
C.f. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=645305

Last month I sent a proof of concept patch that implements this idea
(in "getroot for ZFS without libzfs?" thread).  Did you see this part
of the thread?

--
Robert Millan