grub-devel

Re: [bug] Wrong machtype argument passed for fuloong-2f

From: Andreas Barth
Subject: Re: [bug] Wrong machtype argument passed for fuloong-2f
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 12:45:17 +0200

* Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko (address@hidden) [111029 12:42]:
> On 29.10.2011 12:37, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > * David Kuehling (address@hidden) [111029 11:37]:
> >> according to my /proc/cmdline grub passes
> >> machtype=lemote-fuloong-2f-unknown as first argument to the linux
> >> kernel.
> > Did you see any issues because of that in Linux? Fallback within linux
> > is MACH_LEMOTE_FL2F which is the one used with the argument
> > "lemote-fuloong-2f-box" (not saying this bug shouldn't be fixed, but
> > ...). Also I think grub should just forward the parameters added by
> > pmon, but not adding them itself (except for the parameters via the
> > grub configuration, e.g. root=...).

> GRUB isn't restricted ot pmon environments so this argument makes little
> sense to me.

Isn't there a way to detect pmon environments in run time? Basically
that's more like "is there a pmon configuration, and if so, just
forward parameters"? I personally don't see how we could correctly
find out the different variants the linux kernel detects without using
the information the kernel uses, i.e. the command line. And if we use
the command line, we could as well just forward it.

(The optimal case would be device trees everywhere, but well. We are
today.)

Andi