grub-devel

Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 19:57:04 -0700 (PDT)

Quoting Robert Millan, who wrote the following on Sun, 16 Oct 2011:

2011/10/15 Seth Goldberg <address@hidden>:
Hi again,

 Also: can we please retain the libzfs usage for those platforms that actually
have it and that would rather use it?

What for?  libzfs is only needed for a single operation (determining
physical device list).  With my patch that operation is no longer
required.

  Ah, ok -- I missed that :).

I can certainly understand the desire to eliminate it for platforms that don't
have or don't want to port it, but eliminating it from all platforms is
overkill.

It's not a portability problem.  It seems libzfs isn't really meant to
be used externally.  ABI changes without notice, there's no soname
update and no versioning information.  See:

That's true, though in practice there hasn't been much churn. I like the idea of using the code that will be running at boot time anyway to do all operations required. And I really like the abstraction -- I think that's what's been missing as a precursor to mirroring support (or raidzX support), so thanks for doing the work!

 --S

--
Robert Millan