grub-devel

Re: How to boot NetBSD and FreeBSD with grub: missing bits for the GRUB

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: How to boot NetBSD and FreeBSD with grub: missing bits for the GRUB manual
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:08:19 +0200

On 15.09.2011 23:59, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> Hello
>
> I found out that altough GRUB supports a rich set of options for the
> kfreebsd and knetbsd commands, the GRUB manual was lacking reference on
> how to use them. I propose the following text to be added in the section
> 4.2 Some caveats on OS-specific issues.
>
> Plus I noticed a FIXME in 4.1.1 How to boot an OS directly with GRUB so
> I propose an addition for that part (see at end )
>
> I tried to work the FreeBSD part in a OS-agnotic way, so it can apply to
> FreeBSD and GNU/kFreeBSD
>
> If this text looks fine, I can re-send in the form of an info patch (
> did not want to learn yet another markup language before getting
> feedback ... )
>
> I used the following thread to get the needed information before
> verifying on my NetBSD and GNU/kFreeBSD machines:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=5918
>
> Manu
>

> FreeBSD
> GRUB can boot a FreeBSD kernel by using
> the 'kfreebsd' command. The procedure would look like this:
>
> 1. Set the  partition where resides the FreeBSD kernel:
>
> 'set root=(hd0,1,a)'

you use the device notation from an old version. This is not supported
anymore. Also it's recommended to use UUIDs
> 2. Load the kernel
>
> 'kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel'
>
> 3. Load the kernel boot information
>
> 'kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints'
>
> 4. Set the root devicepath
> 'set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad4s1a'
>
> 5. Set any filesystem options to pass
> vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
You forget kFreeBSD prefix.
> 6. Finally, run the command 'boot' (see boot).

This is for shell. Explaining how to create a menuentry is more useful
> If you want to use the FreeBSD /boot/loader third-stage bootstrap
> program, you
> would can do the following:
>
> 1. Set the  partition where resides the /boot/loader program:
>
> 'set root=(hd0,1,a)'
>
> 2. Load /boot/loader
> 'kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel'
>
> 3. Finally, run the command 'boot' (see boot)

I wouldn't recommend this. It's mostly chainloading.
> The list of all available options for the 'kfreebsd' command can be seen by
> running 'kfreebsd --help' from the GRUB prompt.
>

> NetBSD
> GRUB can boot a NetBSD kernel by using the 'knetbsd' command. Procedure
> is as
> follows:
>
> 1. Set the partition where resides the NetBSD kernel. If NetBSD is installed
> on the first partition of your first hard disk, you would need:
>
> 'set root=(hd0,1,a)'
>
> 2. Load the kernel and specify the root devicepath:
>
> 'knetbsd /netbsd --root=wd0a'
>
> 3. Finally, run the command 'boot' ( see boot)
>
> The list of all available options for the 'kfreebsd' command can be seen by
> running 'kfreebsd --help' from the GRUB prompt.
>

> Multiboot (addition to 4.1.1 )
> Booting a multiboot compliant kernel, requires loading the kernel with the
> 'multiboot' command, and then executing it with the 'boot' command.
> An example of very simple but fully compliant kernel, is the Grub
> Invaders game,
> which you can start this way:
>
> 1. Load Grub Invaders with the command 'multiboot'
>
> 'multiboot    /boot/invaders.exe'

There is no reason to add .exe here.