grub-devel

[RFC] LZO support

From: Szymon Janc
Subject: [RFC] LZO support
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:20:06 +0200

Hello,

I've implemented support for LZO in grub, this includes:
- import of minilzo library (from [1])
- support for LZO (de)compression in btrfs (compress=lzo mount option)
- lzopio - for reading lzop compressed files

Some comments:
- with this code one is able to boot from btrfs partition that was mounted
  with compress=lzo, also did some tests with grub-fstest (crc, testload) on
  some various files, seems to be working fine,
- lzopio works ok with grub-fstest (crc, testload), also able to load modules
  compressed with lzop, but compressing all modules and doing
  grub-install --modules=lzopio fails to boot, still need to investigate that
- lzopio have room for speed optimisation i.e. decompressing directly to
  target buffer when possible, currently there is always memcpy from temp
  buffer
- tested on 32bit x86 only, I'll try to do some tests on different platforms as
  well (on QEMU) but brave people could test it on some real hardware :)
- there are also some addons which could be used by other grub code as well:
  * suport for adler32 checksum (for lzop)
  * helper functions for easier unaligned access

Last but not least: code is available at [2].

Comments and testing are welcome :)

[1] http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/#minilzo
[2] http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/people/janc/lzo/

--