grub-devel

Re: Timeout broken with serial port

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Timeout broken with serial port
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 22:33:05 +0400

On 06.09.2011 02:05, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> If the UART (not grub) interprets noise as valid data, then it will pass
> that to grub which legitimately sees that as keypresses.
I agree with both sides of dispute. It's a hardware bug but GRUB has
reliability and unattended boot as one of its goals. And this noise can
be detected. Noise is likely to have two neighbouring bits equal (due to
noise not being on the same frequency as serial speed) and unlikely to
produce a lot of valid characters. I propose to buffer serial input for
200/speed seconds and after this period do a small analysis and in case
of bad data discard the whole buffer.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko