grub-devel

Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:29:34 +0200

2011/8/11 Zachary Bedell <address@hidden>:
> The pool can be identified positively via the guid which is in the labels and
> available via `zpool list -H -o guid <pool name>`.

I see.  Thanks for the explanation.

> Is calling out to zpool as a helper kosher?  The -H flag to zpool pool is
> basically Sun's idea of a public API in that it's intended to output only the
> requested fields with no header information for automated parsing.

I think -H output looks sane enough (and more stable, so all the better).

> Definitely agree.  The fact that libzfs is specifically listed as private API
> not intended for linking against also makes me wonder if the syslib exception
> is a concern for that.

But SUN/Oracle has linked GRUB with libzfs. This is a good indication
that they trust this method to be safe (it's our copyright which would
be infringed by them, not theirs by us).

--
Robert Millan