grub-devel

Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: getroot for ZFS without libzfs?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:22:08 +0200

2011/8/9 Zachary Bedell <address@hidden>:
> You'd need to look at all the raw devices to begin with and see which if any
> has a ZFS label

Yes, but how do you know this is the label you wanted?  Consider the
case where there's more than one pool with this name.

>> The other API that is available to us is /dev/zfs.  But is that device
>> meant to be used directly?  How stable is this interface?
>
> /dev/zfs is probably less stable than libzfs

Then I wouldn't use /dev/zfs.  The less stable and standard is the ZFS
API GRUB uses, the more likely is that one can argue it doesn't fall
under the "system library" exception.

Directly accessing on-disk structures is entirely different, since a
data structure itself can't be copyrighted.

> My reasons for looking at other options were primarily GPL driven, but given
> that's not an issue, it's probably moot for now.  It might be slightly more
> elegant to use pure Grub code given that all of the underlying functionality
> is there already,

I agree.  But I'm still concerned about the technical problems.

--
Robert Millan