grub-devel

Re: Using grub on fuloong 6004

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: Using grub on fuloong 6004
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:54:40 +0200

>>> ata was renamed to pata.
>> Just recreated my grub.elf with ata in the grub.elf.conf replaced by
>> pata, plus 'pata' module added to the grub-mkimage command line.
>>
>> Now the grub blanks the screen and hangs when loaded from pmon.
>>
> I've fixed 2 regressions in trunk.
>> Maybe I should add that I'm using a 750GB hard-disk with 4k sectors
>> in my Fuloong.  Could that be a problem?  It's neigher a problem for
>> pmon nor for linux, though.
> I'm attaching a patch which should add the support for 4K sectors with
> ATA.

Ok, I tried the new trunk, once with your patch and once without it.

Now grub comes up and displays a prompt, but not a menu.  Keyboard
doesn't work however, so I cannot do anything with grub yet.

I tried to re-run grub-mkimage with module 'usb_keyboard' and 'ahci'
added, but that didn't help, keyboard still not working:

sudo grub-mkimage --config=/boot/grub.elf.conf
--output=/boot/grub4-4k.elf --format=mipsel-fuloong-elf --verbose ata
pata part_msdos ext2 reboot halt lspci ohci ahci usbtest usbms linux fat
xfs part_gpt multiboot2 minicmd configfile gcry_md5 hashsum usb_keyboard

grub.elf.conf:

set root=pata0,msdos1
set prefix=($root)/grub

I also ran 'grub-install' once, which put a full set of grub modules to
/boot/grub.  However, it failed to generate a grub image and complained:

$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/grub-install
/usr/local/bin/grub-mkimage: error: cannot stat
/usr/local/lib/grub/mipsel-loongson/uhci.mod.

according to lsusb, my keyboard is a

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0b51:0020 Comfort Keyboard Co. Comfort Keyboard

, connected to the top-right usb slot.  Other than that only a usb-mouse
is also connected.  No hubs or other advanced usb-hardware.

Any ideas what's wrong now?

cheers,

David