grub-devel

On Internationalization (Again)

From: Bogdan
Subject: On Internationalization (Again)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 08:29:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I know this was already proposed in the past but I'm not really sure what was decided, esp. since Multiboot 2 is seeing little to no activity at all these days.

The idea is to add internationalization support to the Multiboot 2 specification (and to GRUB 2). If this existed in the boot loader, then:

(a) There would be a uniform way to ask all installed OSes to use a certain language.
(b) The boot loader and OS could easily be configured to be consistent.
(c) There would be just a little less duplicated code in the world.

All of the field work has already been done; ISO 639 covers everything from the world's major languages to dialects and even dead languages (e.g., ISO 639-3 covers all known languages); all that is needed is an _optional_ language tag. I did hear an argument that perhaps the introduction of internationalization but no actual translations in GRUB might exclude some people but:

(a) The current situation is actually much worse---there are a lot more people excluded this way.
(b) If this is not adopted, things can't really be improved, can they? Who's going to write translations if there's not support for that?

Cheers,
Bogdan