grub-devel

With grub.cfg Linux Kernel boot hangs

From: Naresh Bhat
Subject: With grub.cfg Linux Kernel boot hangs
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:08:31 +0530

Hi All,

I am able to boot my machine with linux kernel 2.6.32.28 from EFI
shell after following the instructions
http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook

Plug-in the USB stick on EFI firmware/Shell supported x86 32bit target
board. Edit the BIOS and change the boot priority to EFI shell. After
target is booted on EFI shell execute the below commands

Shell> fs1:
fs1:\> cd efi
fs1:\efi> cd grub
fs1:\efi\grub> grub.efi

grub> set debug=video
grub> insmod efi_gop
grub> boot

But when I created a grub.cfg file and try to boot, my machine will show

"video/efi_gop:357: GOP: Sucess"

and hangs......

Any idea what is wrong with grub.cfg file or with my USB disk partitions ?

My grub.cfg file contents are as below

set debug=video
insmod efi_gop

menuentry "Linux Kernel-2.6.32.28 (Single Image)" {
        linux (hd2,gpt2)/bzImage
}

menuentry "Linux-2.6.32.28 Kernel with custom ramdisk image" {
        linux (hd2,gpt2)/bzImage
        initrd (hd2,gpt2)/ramdisk.img
}

My USB disk partitions are as below
Lenovo-Y310 nareshbhat # parted /dev/sdb
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sdb
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: Kingston DataTraveler G2 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 2000MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size   File system     Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  744MB   743MB  fat32
 2      744MB   1585MB  841MB  ext2
 3      1585MB  1999MB  413MB  linux-swap(v1)

(parted)

Thanks in Advance!!

-Naresh Bhat