grub-devel

Grub2 EFI: Image loading from USB takes too long

From: Aravind Srinivasan
Subject: Grub2 EFI: Image loading from USB takes too long
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:33:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am trying Grub2 EFI - this is on a custom platform. On 1.99-rc1, compared to
Legacy grub, loading image, in particular initrd image from a USB takes a very
long.  Our initrd image is about 160M and it is taking about 2 mins to load
this
image. Turning on "set debug=all" in the grub.cfg file, I see that all the time
is being spent in reading the USB. Looking at the source, I think the issue is
the value set for GRUB_DISK_CACHE_SIZE in include/grub/disk.h
Currently this is what it is set to:

include/grub/disk.h
<snip>
/* The size of a disk cache in sector units.  */
#define GRUB_DISK_CACHE_SIZE   8
#define GRUB_DISK_CACHE_BITS   3
<snip>

I tried changing this value to 8192 - and the time it took to load the same
image came down to 10 secs !
/* The size of a disk cache in sector units.  */
#define GRUB_DISK_CACHE_SIZE   8192
#define GRUB_DISK_CACHE_BITS   13

I am not sure of the reason for setting the cache size to a low value and any
possible issues in increasing this size. Appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,
-Aravind
Insert mode