grub-devel

Re: Full documentation for GRUB2

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Full documentation for GRUB2
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 00:03:34 -0700

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Treutwein Bernhard
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Bill & Robert,
>
> [...]
>> > Is there some complete official documentation of GRUB2, or is GRUB2 full
>> > documentation only in source code?;-)
>>
>> I think the Grub2 developers would welcome volunteers to help write
>> documentation.
>
> this is kind of a hen & egg problem.
>
> I would love to help improving the documentation (as I did already for
> Grub Legacy), but I have no idea where to start. Currently I see that
> the "official" Grub Manual is in a difficult state. It appears to me
> that it is a copy of the Grub Legacy manual, where some parts are
> updated others are plainly wrong (due to being only copied), e.g.
> the remark in the second paragraph of chapter 3 Installation
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Installation
> where it is stated that you could install grub by running grub
> itself from a floppy, which isn't possible with Grub 2 anymore.
>
> I have no idea how I can find out how to use modules where I
> have to guess how to use them. There was a nice remark on
> by phcoder on the request list that there are usb mass storage
> and uhci & ehci modules, which I tried and I was able to confirm
> that insmod'ing uhci.mod and usbms.mod on a system, which is not
> able to boot via bios from usb, enabled this system to boot
> from usb by chainloading (usb0)+1. But it is very time consuming
> and frustrating to experiment with different modules just for
> documentation.
>
> How can I find out more information about the modules?

The best way to find out information is probably to ask in #grub on
irc.freenode.net. If nobody is around (or you prefer email) then ask
specific questions on grub-devel (since this is an effort to develop
better documentation rather than simple end user support which would
be more appropriate for help-grub). Any contribution to the
documentation is extremely welcome and I'd personally love to help so
you may ping me (Jordan_U) in #grub at any time if you have a
question.

> Is digging into the source an option, is documentation available
> there in comments? I was not able to browse source in Savannah's
> Bazaar since this option is apparently broken?

You can browse the source online via the launchpad mirror:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/grub/grub2-bzr/files .

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)