grub-devel

Re: How to debug 'out of disk' error.

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: How to debug 'out of disk' error.
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:22:17 -0400

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 08:01:09PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> Can you dump complete drp before and after every call?

I can try.  Of course transscribing them by hand is a pain.  I wonder
if the serial port works on this thing, so I can make grub use that
(assuming I can get grub to load itself first, before hitting the
BIOS bug.  I might be able to.)

> (19:52:44) phcoder: cjwatson: may the Lennart's last message be caused
> by 4K sectors?(idk if he has 512B or 4K sectors)
> (19:56:14) cjwatson: possible; he can find out by printing
> drp->bytes_per_sector after the call to
> grub_biosdisk_get_diskinfo_int13_extensions in
> grub-core/disk/i386/pc/biosdisk.c
> (19:56:25) cjwatson: at least find out what the BIOS thinks

It's a VERY old 80G WD SATA drive.  No 4k sectors here.

By the way, making the partition smaller than 8G made it boot just
fine, so it seems the BIOS is failing with higher sector numbers only.
That's simply pathetic.

--
Len Sorensen