grub-devel

Unable to boot from ISO using 1.99rc1

From: AlfaOmega08
Subject: Unable to boot from ISO using 1.99rc1
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:40:05 +0100

Hi. I'm having problem to boot my own multiboot-compliant kernel from a CD/DVD. Using GRUB2 1.98 I did this:
grub-mkimage -p /boot -o core.img -O i386-pc biosdisk iso9660 multiboot configfile
cat /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/cdboot.img core.img > eltorito.img

then I prepared a directory like this:
/
 boot/
   grub/
     eltorito.img
     grub.cfg
   kernel.sys

And using mkisofs specifing eltorito.img as boot image and other parameters I was able to boot my kernel. However with 1.99rc1 this doesn't seem to work anymore.
I always end up to the grub shell (not the rescue one). Playing a bit with commands, what I came to the conclusion that, even though I put the iso9660 module in grub-mkimage grub isn't able to read the filesystem. The multiboot command always says "error: couldn't open file" and "ls (cd)" says "error: bad filename".

Any suggestion?