grub-devel

Re: Seeking permission to use GRUB derived code in GPLv2 software (U-Boo

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Seeking permission to use GRUB derived code in GPLv2 software (U-Boot)
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 00:46:17 +0300

On 02/10/2011 02:35 PM, Graeme Russ wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am the current maintainer of the x86 port of U-Boot
> (http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/WebHome). I have done a lot of work getting
> the x86 port up and running after a very long period of neglect and am now
> getting stuck into some rather 'interesting' areas. One of which is the
> Real/Protected mode switching.
>
> I came across grub-core/kern/i386/realmode.S which has a really nice
> Real/Protected mode switching code that fits my needs perfectly. Only
> problem is, GRUB is GPLv3 and U-Boot is GPLv2 (most is GPLv2+). There are
> plans to move U-Boot to GPLv3 so I have two options:
>
> 1) Wait on (and work towards) U-Boot becoming GPLv3
> 2) Humbly ask permission to use the core of the GRUB realmode.S

<responding quickly>
Such a permission can be only given by either FSF or by combined
agreement of all involved authors.
In this particular case you can grab r466 from GRUB bzr. It was before
the migration to 3+. The relevant code is in startup.S. And once you
migrate U-boot to 3(+) you ill be able to upgrade to current realmode.S
if necessary.
Also I would be interested in better U-Boot and GRUB2 integration on
platforms supported by both (x86, ppc. Perhaps sparc64 too). As I
understand U-Boot is a firmware, mostly for embedded devices. In
particular I think 5 following goals should be reasonable:
a) Load GRUB2 by U-Boot when GRUB is on HDD
b) Flash U-Boot+GRUB2 together. Basically a variation on (a) with GRUB
residing on flash.
c) Load U-Boot from GRUB2 (I suppose you can make a test version of
U-boot loadable from disk)
d) support U-Boot protocols in GRUB2, meaning loading the kernels
loadable by U-Boot
e) Look into possibilities of multiboot2, especially adding tags for
info currently absent from it and allow in this way to reduce number of
booting formats present around.
So how would you recommend to proceed and which system would you
consider as typical for U-Boot? Beagleboard?
Thanks in advance.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko