grub-devel

Re: Software RAID and Fakeraid

From: Phillip Susi
Subject: Re: Software RAID and Fakeraid
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:08:09 -0500

On 02/01/2011 11:26 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
If the raid stores the raid info at the end, then the data starts at
sector 0.  So no space for a bootloader at all.

I know that is how it works with 0.9, but are you sure it is for 1.0? If so, then for anything but raid-1 we will just have to try to install only to the first device if it has an MBR.

Certainly makes sense.  Now is 4K enough for a boot loader?  Not sure.

It is enough for the MBR. The core image will need to go elsewhere, hence the proposal to ask mdadm for a suitable location.

I personally consider soft raid on raw devices so convluted that I
have never done it.  I would rather have something I know works with my
bootloader and other tools, than gain that extra 1MB (at most) that not
having partitions gives.  Also given many PCs won't boot from a drive
without a partition table, it isn't even an option then.

That is why I like the idea of 1.2 since you could still have a bootable MBR when using the whole disk. Though now that you mention it, I can't think of a good reason to use the whole disk instead of a partition either.