grub-devel

Re: Software RAID and Fakeraid

From: Phillip Susi
Subject: Re: Software RAID and Fakeraid
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:31:38 -0500

On 01/31/2011 05:12 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
Well one of them stores the raid info at the end of the device, so that
one offers no help for the bootloader at all.  I think the other stores

What do you mean help?

it at 4KB in to the device if my memory serves me right.  Not sure if
the first 4KB are left empty for other uses or not.

It is left empty afaik, which is the whole point of shifting it over to 4kb.

It seems to me the simplest thing to do is to simply state in
documentation that grub can not be installed on md raid if there is no
partition table in use.  This doesn't mean people can't do it for purely
data oriented drives, but for the drives with the boot laoder there
are limitations.

Obviously doing nothing is the simplest thing one can do. Instead I would like to do something and end up with a better, more functional system. Hence my suggestion on WHAT to do and the existence of this entire thread.