grub-devel

Re: hybrid DOS/GPT and BIOS Boot Partition

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: hybrid DOS/GPT and BIOS Boot Partition
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:15:28 -0500

On 01/23/11 15:39, walt wrote:
Is there a way to make this configuration work? (I've used gdisk to
convert DOS partition tables to GPT, so far.)

Yes... make a BIOS Boot Partition!

Such a partition couldn't hurt with DOS tables, too (I think there isn't a way to mark the partition table type as such in msdos tables, though? So maybe it can't be done / done easily.)

Basically, on msdos partitions, there's usually a post-MBR "gap" where there are no partitions and a part of GRUB is put there. It can't be put in a filesystem because filesystems can shift their files around, and it's loaded by the <512 byte MBR, which can't be very smart. GPT tends to fill up all the space you'd have a post-MBR gap in, so you have to do the more-explicit-and-reasonable approach of making a partition for the GRUB data (in GRUB2 we call it core.img).

[if my terminology is wrong, someone correct me]

-Isaac