grub-devel

Re: Is grub2 capable of displaying truetype fonts?

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Is grub2 capable of displaying truetype fonts?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:57:05 +0100

On 01/19/2011 07:11 AM, crocket wrote:
> I remember I saw a patch that enables drawing truetype fonts on grub2, but I
> don't remember where it is now.
> I guess it hasn't been merged or become popular.

Truetype basically means vector font. grub-mkfont can transform it into
the suitable for GRUB bitmap format. Other than the inconvenience of
having several prescaled size if needed, it results in identical results
(as in-per-pixel) at the fraction of complexity and much faster at boot
time (not all supported platforms even have FPU).
The patch you probaly refer to is anti-aliasing which is a separate
concept and the patch in question will be merged after 1.99 release.