grub-devel

Re: Example theme mentioned in manual

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: Example theme mentioned in manual
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:35:40 -0800

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 03:39:38 +0000
Matt Sturgeon <address@hidden> wrote:

> Quick question though: How do I choose a theme?
>
> I tried (In Ubuntu Natty 11.04 - GRUB 1.99) setting GRUB_THEME to the
> theme.txt file (/boot/grub/themes/winter/theme.txt) of Colin Bennett's
> originonal "Winter" theme, which didnt work - am I doing something
> wrong there, is it Ubuntu or is the theme just outdated?
>
> Thanks - oh and as far as licencing, just GPL it, or are other
> licences more applicable for artwork?

The example theme(s) and documentation are a lacking spot that I have
been hoping to address for a while.  A while back, I told Vladimir I
would update the example theme to use appropriately free fonts and
images since some of my example items may not be license-compatible with
GRUB.  I just haven't had a chance to take care of it yet. :-(  All my
own work on the themes is GPL but I used some other fonts from my Linux
distro and some graphics such the "winter" background, and some Ubuntu
elements in the ubuntu themes for instance are not GPL.

If you have time and are willing to develop an official theme, that
would be fantastic, since I just don't have time right now.  It would
be great to see this area improved!

Regards,
Colin