grub-devel

Re: LPT

From: Kirill Kuprijanov
Subject: Re: LPT
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 17:18:40 +0300

On 14.12.2010 23:23, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
On 12/14/2010 08:54 PM, Kirill Kuprijanov wrote:
Hello,

I have a motherboard with LCD indicator attached to it's LPT port. I
would like to make grub show some early splash screen on it. All the
things regarding protocol and pin assignments are ok, as I already
have a programm to show stuff on LCD from OS (Debian). So the question
is "how to make a grub module that is capable of setting levels on LPT
pins?" and a second one is "how to make use of it during bootup
procedure?

Currently GRUB has no LPT driver whatsoever. You would need to write
one. I suggest having look in our tree at ns8250.c (serial driver),
hello.c (module usage). As for how to write LPT driver, old DOS
documentation is usually of assistance (nothing changed there).

Does that mean LPT driver is actually a grub module (just to prove me right)? Then what about some code to show the splash itself? Should it be a second separate module or should I place it in some other place?

Thanks in advance,
Kirill