grub-devel

Re: EFI disk IO

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: EFI disk IO
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:51:28 +0000

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 11:11:15AM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> IIRC, EFI provides filesystem IO support,

Only for filesystems EFI supports, which is typically a much smaller
range than GRUB.  You're basically only guaranteed to get FAT, and as
far as I can tell it's only designed for reading from EFI System
Partitions or the equivalent.

> so I was wondering: does grub-efi use the EFI file IO calls, or does
> it still use its built in partition and fs parsing modules, and only
> rely on EFI for the low level disk block IO?

GRUB uses its own partition and file handling.

> It seems like you would want to build the grub fs modules as EFI drivers
> to extent the entire EFI system if needed, and rely on EFI for file IO.

It doesn't seem worth it given the extremely limited scope of the EFI
File Protocol.  It would be substantial work for little benefit, and
GRUB's own drivers probably work better for reading from general
filesystems anyway.