grub-devel

Re: `"prefix" is not set` error message in early GRUB startup

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: `"prefix" is not set` error message in early GRUB startup
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:07:35 -0800 (PST)

Quoting Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko, who wrote the following on...:

 My suggested fix is to move the calls to grub_machine_set_prefix()
and grub_set_root_dev before grub_load_modules().  A cursory
examination of these functions doesn't reveal any dependence on any
loadable modules, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
The dependence is subtle: set_prefix may require working
partitions_iterate (I think it does on EFI).
I'll think how to fix the matters but since normal.mod isn't meant to be
preloaded, I see the matter as minor.

I think it's pretty reasonable to preload normal if it's embedded in a pxe image, but there is a workaround, so it's not super-urgent.

 --S