grub-devel

Re: How to use xzio?

From: szymon
Subject: Re: How to use xzio?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:38:42 +0100

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:58:18 -0800 (PST), Seth Goldberg <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

  I'm trying to experiment with loading xz-compressed multiboot
modules and cannot figure out how to do it so that the xzio module can
actually deal with the compressed file (after instrumenting it, the
problem is "unsupported xz options"),  I've tried simply compressing
the file I'm interested in loading with "xz", and with "xz -1" and
both of the files cannot be decompressed. What's the deal with the xz
support, then?

xzio utilizes xzembedded for decompression and this implementation doesn't
support crc64 (which is default in xz). So one must compress files with
xz --check=crc32 foo.bar  or  xz --check=none foo.bar

It also supports BCJ filters (only with start offset=0) so if you are compressing
executable code better compression ratio (few %) can be achieved
xz --x86=start=0 --lzma2 --check=crc32 foo.bar
(also supports PowerPC, ARM, ARM-Thumb, IA-64, SPARC code, see xz manual for details)

Maybe xzio should print appropriate warning when unsupported (but not critical
for decompression) option is used?

Also, the grub manual currently only lists gzip:

Yeah... I'll update documentation with xz stuff when find some time :)

--
Szymon Janc