grub-devel

Re: USB bulk transfert from GRUB ?

From: Nicolas de Pesloüan
Subject: Re: USB bulk transfert from GRUB ?
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 20:57:57 +0100

On 12/25/2010 01:38 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
On 12/20/2010 09:12 PM, Nicolas de Pesloüan wrote:

Hi Vladimir, thanks for your feedback.

Some USB devices require a specific command to be sent (using USB bulk
transfer) before they switch
to "storage mode". Such devices are switched by USBmodeSwitch
(http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/), after the operating
system start. USBmodeSwitch use
libusb to send the right command to the right USB endpoint, depending
on the ID of the USB device.

In order to be able to boot from such devices, one needs to switch the
device early, before the operating system is started. I think GRUB2
should be the right place for this.

For as far as I understand, libusb is available from inside GRUB2,
No it's not. We use our own routines for USB transfers. Have a look at
include/grub/usb.h. E.g:
grub_usb_err_t
grub_usb_bulk_write (grub_usb_device_t dev,
                      int endpoint, grub_size_t size, char *data);

Ok, that sounds good, at least for a "small" try.

so it shouldn't be really difficult to add a command to initiate a
given bulk transfert to a given USB endpoint. (My understanding is
that no such command already exists).
grub_usb_bulk_write does exactly this. However it's not to be exported
as a command

Whould you support adding such command?

Contrary to USBModeSwitch that use a database at runtime to decide how
to switch the device, it is probably easier to decide this at
grub-mkconfig time, using the same database.

Doing any USB detection at grub-mkconfig time is a bad idea. USB is in
flux and you can't possibly know e.g. the address of target device on
runtime. On the other hand it should be easy to write a parser for
device_reference.txt.

Yes, you are right. I didn't plan to try and use a fixed USB address. But, it sounds reasonable to assume that, for a given user, the device is always the same (usb id). So, the usb id of the device, the endpoint number and the string to send to the endpoint could be selected at grub-mkconfig time and given as arguments to the grub command I plan to create.

It's also probably easier to write something that small from scratch than to
port it (all the
value is in the database, not code). Another question is how much
autoconfigured it should be.
Some people may prefer these devices be in non-storage mode as usually the only
thing they store
are useless buggy drivers.

The kind of device I know provides two different modes:

- default mode, where the device is seen as a CD reader and gives access to a virtual CD that hold the Windows drivers for the device. (Mostly useless, from a non Windows point of view). - switched mode, where the device is seen as a 3G modem plus a micro-SD card reader. I plan to boot from this micro-SD card.

From a grub point of view, deciding to switch or to stay to the default mode depends on whether the "kernel" one plan to boot is located on a normal device or one a device that need to be switched prior to be usable.

So the switch command should only be incorporated into the menu entry that is designed to boot on the switchable device that hold the micro-SD card.

And by the way, it is possible to virtually "burn" an ISO image into the device, so it is possible to use the virtual CD reader to hold grub. But that is another story.

        Nicolas.