grub-devel

why is crypt package missing dsa, rsa, elgamal, etc?

From: Jordan
Subject: why is crypt package missing dsa, rsa, elgamal, etc?
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:02:40 -0700

This is my first-ever query in this forum – please be kind !

I’ve been poking around in the GRUB2 code lately, and noticed that part of the libgcrypt package doesn’t get included in the built modules.  I see how the Python script translates the standard libgcrypt source files into new ones that can compile in the GRUB build environment, but I also notice that DSA, RSA, ElGamal, ECC, PrimeGen(?) do not actually get compiled.  Perhaps this is because they rely on some other functionality that isn’t present, such as MPI (multiple-precision integers) ?  (a side effect is that several source files are translated and then not used.)

What would it take to get them working?  Has anyone looked at this before to size it up?

I have an application to verify a DSA signature during the bootloader, and without it I’ll have to propose a different approach to my customer.

Thanks,

Jordan