grub-devel

Re: How to configure grub2 to boot identical kernel with different kerne

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: How to configure grub2 to boot identical kernel with different kernel parameters
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 07:08:10 +0300

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Patrick Doyle <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would like to configure my grub2 setup on Ubuntu 10.04 such that I
> can boot with one of two different sets of kernel parameters.  I am at
> a loss as to what terms I should feed into Google to explain to me how
> to do this, so I figured I'd just ask you folks.
>
> Sometimes I want to boot with the default set of parameters (as
> specified with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub, and
> sometimes I want to boot with a different set of parameters.
>
> Currently, I just go into edit mode and type in the parameters.  Most
> of the time I type them correctly.  I would prefer to dummy-proof this
> process.

On my system I have two scripts in /etc/grub.d - 40_custom,
90_persistent (I think the latter is not part of upstream). The first
just dumps contents of file verbatim, the second preserves everything
you added between delimiters in grub.cfg. Check if you have one of
them:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/90_persistent ###
### END /etc/grub.d/90_persistent ###