grub-devel

Re: [RFT] nested partition issues

From: Grégoire Sutre
Subject: Re: [RFT] nested partition issues
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 01:31:56 +0100

On 09/04/2010 02:07 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
Hello. It was reported to me about several issues with nested
partitions. Please try attached patch and report  back any remaining
problems

NetBSD and OpenBSD disklabels that are nested in an MSDOS partition are
now viewed as top-level partitions, i.e. we now have for instance:

(hd0,netbsd5) instead of (hd0,msdos2,bsd5)

for a partition e: in the BSD disklabel contained in (hd0,msdos2).

This makes grub-setup fail since it detects two top-level partition
maps: msdos and netbsd.

Previously, grub's view of the partitions closely matched the actual
nesting on the disk.  I personally prefer this previous view.  In
particular, if the disk had only an MBR partition table and no other
top-level partition map, then the same applied to grub's view of the
partitions.

Grégoire