grub-devel

Again: Future of grub commands setup and install ?

From: Treutwein Bernhard
Subject: Again: Future of grub commands setup and install ?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:20:41 +0200

about 1.5 months ago, I asked about the "Future of grub commands setup and
install" (sorrily I have put that thread below some other thread), see:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2010-09/msg00096.html

The reason for asking is that I rarely have an installed linux on systems
with grub and therefore have difficulties to do the simple

        grub-install /dev/sda

but I also see that there is no reason at all to reinvent/program things
again and again.

I summarize the replies with and ask for comments for a request for
enhancement:

I think it would be very desirable to have (at least optionally) a micro
linux distribution (e.g. linux-libre with busybox or something similar) or at
least have some instructions how to setup such an micro distribution for
almost sole use by grub. It would allow for "escaping" grub as boot loader
into a boot-loader configuration environment.

any opinions?

regards
--
  Bernhard