grub-devel

Several ideas about grub2.

From: Dmitry Ilyin
Subject: Several ideas about grub2.
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 02:42:53 +0400

1. Implementation of some progress bar for file reading

minutes (Linux initramfs could
be about 100Mb). And i'm thinking about some progress meter for file loading.
It could be print dot per
megabyte, percent or 34/76Mb style or like this |#######------------|.
Looks like it should be build into grub_disk_read procedue in kern/disk.c or
grub_file_read in kern/file.c
Maybe you could give me some hints about best way to do this.

2. Basic text editor

Is it possible to make basic text editor as grub2 module. I'm looking at "ed"
http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html It will be very usefull to edit text
files (grub.cfg for example)
without booting os. Or there is no write support in filesystem drivers? Maybe
hex editor?

3. Installing on loop devices

grub-install fails to work on loop devices. Partition detection doesn't work on
loop devices, but you can
use kpartx. For example we have /dev/loop0, using fdisk we create 2 partitions
on this image, kpartx -a
/dev/loop0 will map partitions to /dev/mapper/loop0p1 and /dev/mapper/loop0p2
which you can format and
mount, but grub-install will fail (there is no bios drives for them?).
No kernel partition detecion for loop devices is serious problem. Why kernel
cannot create /dev/loop0p1
and /dev/loop0p2 like with real hdds? FreeBSD's md's doesn't have this problem
and work like normal disks
with partitions. But this is not related to grub.
What is the best way to fix installing on loop devices? Fixing grub-probe or
grub-install to not using
grub-probe when it cannot work and hardcode (hd0) prefix for loop devices?

Using grub-mkimage and grub-setup manually works.