grub-devel

Re: [RFT] Reed-Solomon

From: Phillip Susi
Subject: Re: [RFT] Reed-Solomon
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:13:40 -0400

On 9/27/2010 7:34 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> FlexNet and similar like to write to track 0 sectors (outside partitioned
> space) to store license info.  This clobbers part of grub potentially.
> So to make grub more tolerant of such misbehaviour, the idea suggested
> was to add error correction to grub so it can survive attacks on its code
> (and even potential disk errors).

Ahh, neat.  Two sectors of ECC can fix one that is completely destroyed?
 I was under the impression that you could only fix a few corrupted
bits, not an entire sector, but I suppose if you add enough ECC...  I
take it that someone has already made sure that the misbehaved software
only uses a single sector?