grub-devel

Re: grub-setup inflexibility

From: Joey Korkames
Subject: Re: grub-setup inflexibility
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:02:58 -0700

[UTF-8]Vladimir 'Æ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko writes:

On 09/15/2010 08:55 PM, Joey Korkames wrote:
Colin Watson writes:

On Xen (I'm told), it's possible to assign disk images in the host to
things that are named rather like partitions in the guest (e.g.
/dev/sda1), but that don't have an associated disk (e.g. /dev/sda);
indeed, the latter device is nonexistent.  This confuses
grub_util_biosdisk_get_grub_dev.

There's really no other situation in which I think it's terribly
plausible that you might have /dev/sda1 but not /dev/sda, so it seems to
me that in this case we can reasonably treat the apparent "partition" as
a disk in its own right.

Can we make some of these 'decisions' switchable on the command line?
I perform a lot of block device redirections (Xen, iSCSI, nbd, etc) or
work from live cd's (where / is merely rootfs+unionfs with no disk,
but /boot is a mounted disk), and grub-setup raises fatal objections
that I would like to override when _I_ know what devnodes the
bootblocks and the filesystems belong on.

It looks like you confused grub-setup (called from grub-install) with
grub-mkconfig (called from update-grub). Former accesses only to
/boot/grub and it needs to know about /boot/grub in order to configure
image correctly.

Nope, I really do mean grub-setup. The situations I described also confuses
grub-install and grub-mkconfig's sh functions, but I generate my own configs so I don't use those. I was looking at the grub-setup code and just saw a new option, --skip-fs-probe . I'll try that for the livecd edge case and if that doesn't fix my problems, then I'll try to get a detailed breakpoint where grub-setup gets confused.