grub-devel

Re: Questions regarding bzr Install Branch

From: KESHAV P.R.
Subject: Re: Questions regarding bzr Install Branch
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:10:00 +0530

> I implemented --bootloader-id in install branch.

I tried the updated install branch (branch rev 2045). There is a
problem with the --bootloader-id option

lines 193 and 194 of util/grub-install.in

 --bootloader_id=*)
        bootloader_id=`echo "$option" | sed 's/--bootloader_id=//'` ;;

It should be

 --bootloader-id=*)
        bootloader_id=`echo "$option" | sed 's/--bootloader-id=//'` ;;

The --bootloader-id option provides the --grub-prefix functionality
that I wanted. However the default --prefix="" option for grub-mkimage
for efi has been removed with a common core.$imgext in grub-install
(line 552) in which the prefix is hard coded.

The grub.efi generated using --prefix="" (in line 560 of grub-install)
is replaced by core.efi being copied as grub.efi (in line 611).

Also since --boot-directory is set to replace --root-directory, how to
pass the efisys part mount point directly using --boot-directory
instead of --root-directory ( Eg:- efisys mounted at /media/efisys
instead of /boot/efi or /efi). Which is the standard efisys mount
point that grub2 assumes - /boot/efi or /efi or some other dir?

My efisys partition is currently mounted at /boot/efi (this is the
standard efisys mount point fedora/redhat uses - some systems may use
/efi ) , this is the grub-install command I used (x86_64-efi)

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/boot/efi
--bootloader-id=grub2_install --no-floppy --recheck --debug /dev/sda

This command setup the grub efi along with the modules at
/boot/efi/grub2_install/ instead of the expected
/boot/efi/efi/grub2_install/

using --boot-directory=/boot/efi/efi setup grub2 at
/boot/efi/efi/grub2_install/ correctly.

Using --root-directory=/boot/efi also setup grub2 at
/boot/efi/efi/grub2_install/. So to directly pass the efisys part
mount point what should I use --root-directory or --boot-directory.

Also why is it compulsory to provide a install_device at the end of
grub-install command, in case of efi systems it is meaningless. There
was no need for passing /dev/sda or /dev/sdb etc to the old
grub-install command for efi that is present in the mainline.

Regards.

Keshav