grub-devel

Re: status of grub netboot in GRUB2

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: status of grub netboot in GRUB2
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:37:22 +0200

On 09/02/2010 06:38 AM, Manoel Rebelo Abraches wrote:
> That branch is a bit outdated, I'll update id until next week at most.
> We have so far the tftp protocol and a pseudo driver for open firmware.
> It worked grate in our tests so far.
Sounds interesting.
> Though it is aimed only for
> sequential transfer at the moment, I'll talk with vladimir next week
> some about some changes I thought to make parallelism easier( but isn't
> parallelism too much for a bootloader?).

Hardware drivers are always useful to be parallelisable even if we
currently don't tak full advantage of it. A simple example is that of
running console through network and in the same time downloading files.
In this case you require 2 simultaneous transfers.

I've also found out that pxe driver is currently attached all wrong. In
branch net I transformed it into a network protocol 'pxe' using
interface 'pxe' on dummy card 'pxe'. With UNDI the 'pxe' card will
become a card capable of sending and receiving packets.
This pushed me to remove some overkill in previous templates. I hope
that helps writing drivers.
@Manoel: even if you just put your current work without cleaning it up
it will already help. I can take care of integration.