grub-devel

Re: status of grub netboot in GRUB2

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: status of grub netboot in GRUB2
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:31:13 +0200

On 08/31/2010 09:05 PM, John Lumby wrote:
First of all please avoid sending HTML-formatted mails to this list.
> Anyone know if any work is being done on implementing a netboot
> function into GRUB2 similar to what is available in GRUB1?    I.e.,
>    .   supports current network hardware with self-contained drivers
>    .  does not require PXE hardware
>    .  does not require any other software

This is useful functionality for e.g. OS recovery over internet, system
where firmware supports netboot but provides only pretty unusable
functions to bootloader or when GRUB itself is a firmware
Manoelo Abranches is working on this feature:
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/people/mrabran/grub_net/ . One of the
tasks in my TODO list is to assess how much can be merged into 1.99.