grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Detect other software using embedding area

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [RFC] Detect other software using embedding area
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:11:30 +0100

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 02:54:58PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >  but grub-devel is not a filesystem development list and there's
> >  only so much we can fix).
>
> Maybe one should use external boot media of
> which GRUB can claim complete ownership.

Most people want their system to be able to boot using the hard disk
alone.  Obviously experts can set up something different, but it would
be pretty hopeless to say that you need a writable CD or USB stick to
boot your newly installed GNU/Linux system.

Obviously feel free to look into this separately, but I would ask that
you please start a new thread if you wish to do so as it does not really
solve the problem at hand, which is a real problem for many of our
users.

Thanks,