grub-devel

Re: Chain-booting PXE bootloaders

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Chain-booting PXE bootloaders
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 02:08:03 +0200

On 08/27/2010 01:51 AM, Turner, Ian wrote:
> Here are a couple of use cases:
>
> Windows:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722358%28WS.10%29.aspx

Hm, this case is the only when it's necessary.
> Solaris:
> http://redhatcat.blogspot.com/2008/07/loading-pxegrub-from-pxelinux.html

Solaris is loaded with multiboot
> Other random proprietary software:
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-April/006811.html

This example doesn't need chainloading. Just:
linux16 (pxe)/memdisk
initrd16 (pxe)/floppy.img

Same as with normal chainloader windows usecase is enough. And same as
with normal chainloader it'll be misused for not-sane things. But as I
figured out, we can't do anything more than recommend sane configs. If
users do things improper way it's their right to.