grub-devel

RE: Problems booting Linux via PXE

From: Turner, Ian
Subject: RE: Problems booting Linux via PXE
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:55:17 -0400

> On 08/25/2010 09:02 PM, Turner, Ian wrote:
> > I’m having some trouble using GRUB to boot Linux via PXE.

> Could you try newreloc branch which is about to be merged?

The newreloc branch solved the problem and allowed me to successfully boot
Linux, but I noticed a few other problems getting the branch to compile:

1. 'make dist' is totally broken; I think this is because some files were moved
around or just removed (e.g., kern/i386/loader.S) and the build scripts were
never updated.

2. grub-core/kern/emu/misc.c seems to assume that libdevmapper will define
dm_log_with_errno_init, which it does not on my system (RHEL 5.2). Configuring
with --disable-device-mapper made this go away for me, since I don't need DM
functionality.

3. It looks like grub does not compile properly if CFLAGS or LDFLAGS contains
-m64 (standard in our environment); it's probably a good idea to consider
checking for these at configure time.

Thanks for your help,

--Ian