grub-devel

Re: Completely disable graphics support in grub2 x86_64-efi

From: KESHAV P.R.
Subject: Re: Completely disable graphics support in grub2 x86_64-efi
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:32:03 +0530

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 17:43, KESHAV P.R. <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2010/8/25 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:
>> Were you testing inside qemu? If so then mainline version has used
>> video_cirrus module which wasn't propagated into newreloc until I
>> resynced it recently
>
> No, I was not testing in qemu or VirtualBox (or any virtual machine).
> I tried it in real hardware. My GPU is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
> with 256 MB Graphics RAM, 1280x800 native resolution of my Dell Studio
> 1537 laptop. Should I use newreloc or experimental branch?
>
> Maybe I will try newreloc separately and come back to you.

I tried the newreloc branch
https://code.launchpad.net/~skodabenz/grub/grub2-branch-newreloc but I
found no difference in fuctionality between experimental and newreloc
in case of x86_64-efi (I do not know about i386-efi). "newreloc"
solves the problem of initramfs not being loaded properly and leading
to kernel panic that currently occurs with mainline, but the graphics
problem in experimental also occurs with newreloc, I think this
problem is due to efigfx branch. Is there any command which makes
grub2 stop trying to load a graphics/video mode and instead fallback
to efi simple text protocol? Please include the way mainline handles
the issue, as a fallback option in efigfx, in case no graphics/video
mode is found.

Regards.

Keshav