grub-devel

Automake build system merge into mainline

From: BVK Chaitanya
Subject: Automake build system merge into mainline
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:42:25 +0530

Hi,

At last, after more than 6 months of on-and-off development, I finally
managed to complete automake based build system for GRUB.  Its been
reviewed over IRC and is committed to mainline today.  Since we
decided to merge it into mainline directly, all feature branches and
personal development branches need to be updated by individual
developers.  My apologies for this, and it seems this task cannot be
avoided in any other way.

In addition to Automake, we now use GNU Autogen tool to create
automake snippets automatically from simple definition files, like
Makefile.util.def, grub-core/Makefile.core.def, etc.  This is
simplifies enabling or disabling modules based on platform
combinations a lot.  I would advise you to go through these *.def
files, to get an idea about their format.  If anything is not clear, i
will be very happy to clarify.

thanks,
--
bvk.chaitanya