grub-devel

Completely disable graphics support in grub2 x86_64-efi

From: KESHAV P.R.
Subject: Completely disable graphics support in grub2 x86_64-efi
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 20:26:12 +0530

I am currently using grub2 experimental branch compiled for x86_64-efi
. I am getting the following error message (and no kernel boot
messages are displayed) -

error: no suitable mode found.
Booting however

What modules cause these errors? Will excluding them from grub.efi
display proper kernel boot messages. I already asked this before at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2010-06/msg00029.html and
it was suggested to use efi_gop or efi_uga module. I am currently
unable to boot my Archlinux x86_64 using bzr main trunk due to
corrupted initramfs. Thats why I use the experimental branch (due to
newreloc branch).

The bzr trunk does not display this error message but causes kernel
panic, while the exp branch shows no boot messages but boots into gdm
(login screen) in runlevel 5 successfully. But no text is displayed if
I try runlevel 3 or single user mode or simply console login. I don't
even know whether the boot is successful.

I want newreloc (or exp branch) functionality with main trunk's boot
messages for x86_64-efi ? How do I get this? Is there any way to force
grub2 to use simple text mode of UEFI instead of GOP or UGA, or
completely disable graphical terminal in efi in my system?

Thanks in advance.