grub-devel

Re: my thoughts about grub 2

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: my thoughts about grub 2
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:24:53 -0700 (PDT)

Quoting address@hidden, who wrote the following on Wed, 18...:

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:54:07AM -0700, Seth Goldberg wrote:
 I agree with you -- using GRUB2 in a multi-OS configuration is
inherently problematic due to the split-brain phenomenon, but if you're
managing 3 OSes, we expect you to be smart enough to work around the
problem yourself.  Keep in mind that a multi-UNIX environment is not the
target use case for GRUB2 -- it's one distro that manages the GRUB2
configuration.  It would be a nightmare to try to support three UNIXes,
each with potentially different versions of GRUB2, each trying to own the
menu.

 I know GRUB2 isn't the easiest thing to work with, but it's far more
flexible than Legacy GRUB was.

 Also, no one's forcing you to use the autogenerated configuration file.
You can disable that and manually manage your menus, but in doing that
you need to understand that you're cutting out one of the more useful
features.

There is certainly nothing wrong with each linux installation having it's
own grub2 install on it's bootable partition, and letting something else
be the boot manager that picks which to boot.  Each one can manage the
grub2 config for its kernel, and leave the decision of which partition
to boot to someone else.

Anything is possible, yes. However, I'm talking about the design center here. The design center was a single OS managing the configuration file.

 --S