grub-devel

Re: Big Endian fix patch

From: Doug Nazar
Subject: Re: Big Endian fix patch
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:29:37 -0400

 On 2010-07-28 10:52 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

I have booted Debian powerpc on qemu before without any issues.
It just worked.  Well initially the install couldn't boot because it
was using quik at the time (oldworld mac emulation), and the ramdisk
image was too large for quik.  I fixed quik to support larger ramdisks
(and ext3 and such just by using a new libe2fs which also broke it).

This is my first foray into PPC. I've worked with SPARC so I have some familiarity with OF but OpenBios just didn't seem to handle what I remembered and the help/docs leave a lot to be desired. QEMU/Ubuntu mentioned different machine types and several other things that I wasn't sure about. Probably makes a lot of sense if you're coming from real hardware.

Without a devalias, grub can't find ANY disks on the IBM firmware.
With a devalias created, it works fine.  I suppose this qualifies as a
bug in grub.

Right now the iterate function only scans the /aliases node for block devices. I'd rather it scan the real devices however I still want the aliases to show up in 'ls'. Still thinking about how to do this without too much surgery.

It is not too bad.  I haven't noticed anything too awful in the display.
It messes up a lot when it starts scrolling the screen though, so I have
to 'clear' and then continue to keep it legible.  The menu looks fine.
That's what I was seeing. Turns out the screen-#rows default was way off. Resetting that before booting grub made everything pretty.

I didn't dig too deep into Grub's OF console handling to see how it handled the output. I saw it read the rows & columns from OF and just assumed it was an OpenBios bug. Perhaps it uses a different font or something and needs to recalc the height. I'll take a look.

Doug